Central Subway boondoggle: If Democrats won’t help Republicans might. And you can too. Study the issues.
EMAIL CONGRESS: The Federal budget got a 2-week extension and now a compromise budget is on the way. Political horse-trading is in full gallop. The most wasteful expenditures should be exposed. The President’s 2011 Budget includes $200 million for the Central Subway, while San Francisco’s MTA is struggling to get commuters to their jobs today. Now may not be the best time to expand. Maintenance of our current systems may be a better use of funds at this time.
Please read up on the subject, decide on the solution, and if you are moved to action, email the Congressional budget leaders, using their Website E-Forms to express your views on which projects you want to see funded.
Howard Wong, AIA
SAMPLE EMAIL TALKING POINTS IF YOU WANT TO STOP THE SAN FRANCISCO CENTRAL SUBWAY PROJECT AND REDIRECT THE FUNDS:
1. Please reallocate earmarks and transportation funds from the San Francisco Central Subway Boondoggle to worthy public transit projects.
2. The Central Subway is a political contrivance, exploiting political acumen rather than smart transportation planning.
3. Direct the FTA to enforce its own New Starts criteria, which would show that the Central Subway decreases net transit levels of service and disconnects San Francisco’s Municipal Railway from the Market Street/ Downtown Corridor.
4. The tiny 1.7 mile subway will cost $1.58 billion, benefiting few riders with marginal ridership gains.
5. If objectively evaluated, the Central Subway can not meet FTA criteria for New Starts Projects.
John Boehner, Speaker of the House
John Mica, Chair, House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
Harold Rogers, Chair, Appropriations Committee
Darrell Issa, Chair, House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform
Eric Cantor, House Majority Leader
Kevin McCarthy, Majority Whip
Jerry Lewis, Appropriations Committee
Tom McClintock, Budget Committee
David Dreier, Chair, Republican Congressional Delegation
Congressman Paul Ryan
Chair, Budget Committee
1233 Longworth House Office Building
Washington DC 20515